1. Compare the three maps of Nigeria below, then answer the following questions. Please be sure to do the following:
-Use the maps attached to the question.
-Keep in mind that low elevation areas are near the coast. Higher elevation areas are inland.
-To answer question c, it will probably be necessary to take a look at both the political and biome map. When looking at the political map, take note of which sections of Nigeria seem to have the most roads and cities.
- Nigeria- Biomes: https://www.compuhigh.net/sec/classes_2/wgeog/lesson05/nigeria_biome.jpg
- Nigeria- Political: https://www.compuhigh.net/sec/classes_2/wgeog/lesson05/files/nigeriapol93.jpg
a. What type of biomes are found in the lowland* areas? Note that there are three biomes you should be naming for this answer.
(*Lowland: An area of land with low elevation)
b. What type of biomes are found in the higher elevations? Note that you should be naming at least two biomes for this answer.
c. What biomes have the highest population density?
d. What biome exists in Plateau State (which is named after the Jos Plateau
(Plateau: A flat area of land with high elevation.)
2. Give one example of flora* and one example of fauna* in a wetland*.
(*Wetland: An area of land with high saturation of water: a swamp or marsh.)
(*Fauna: General terms for animals)
(*Flora: General term for plants (Flora)
Link to NWS Office of Environment and Heritage Site on Flora and Fauna in Wetlands
3. Is an estuary* a marine or freshwater biome? Explain your answer.
(*Estuary: A semi-enclosed bay or body of water with access to the ocean that has freshwater streams or rivers running into it. Estuaries are usually less salty than the open ocean, so they often have unique ecological characteristics.)
4. Give the name and location of a plain with a savanna
biome (https://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/savanna.php) .
(Plain: A large, flat area of land, usually with low elevation.)
5. Which continent is not part of the ecumene*?
(*Ecumene: The area of the Earth where people live.)
6. What biome would you most likely find on a mountain peak*?
(*Mountain peak: The summit, or highest point, of a mountain.)
-Note that there is more than one possible correct answer for question six. If you like, you could just discuss the kind of biome you would find on a mountain peak in your area.
For each of the six biomes listed below, give the following information:
- name one flora and one fauna species that lives there,
- describe the climate,
- list the continents where this biome is found,
- explain how humans have adapted to live within this biome.
- identify one natural resource that is valuable to humans that comes from this biome.
Here are the six biomes you need to cover.
7. Freshwater (choose one type of freshwater biome, such as a pond, lake, or wetland.)
9. Desert (choose one type of desert biome, such as scrub desert or chapparal)
10. Forest (choose one type of forest: Rainforest, Deciduous forest, or Taiga)
Blue Planet Biomes: https://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/
edu/biomes/index.html”>Kids Do Ecology: http://kids.nceas.ucsb.edu/biomes/index.html
The World’s Biomes: https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/exhibits/biomes/index.php
Biomes: National Geographic Society: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/article/five-major-types-biomes/